Note from Pastor
The new year is upon us! At Hope Community Church we use the start of every year to position ourselves to hear from God. Fasting and Prayer are ancient Biblical ways to align ourselves with God’s purpose. If you are new to fasting, you are with the right group of people. This guide will give you some insight into the Spiritual and physical aspects of fasting, and a whole church is available for support. Don’t do this alone! This is a fantastic opportunity for you to move closer to God. If you have been fasting for years, I am excited to join you again at this pivotal time.
Why do we fast?
- Jesus fasted before he began his period of ministry (Matthew 4:2) and told his disciples that some things can only be accomplished through fasting and prayer (Mark 9:29.)
- Throughout scripture, God did incredible things when people fasted and prayed. Today, he does the same for us at Hope Community Church when we fast and pray together!
- We want to get closer to God and hear him more clearly. God responds in an especially powerful way when we fast.
What is the Daniel Fast?
- It is a 21-day “partial” fast where we refrain from some of the foods that most of us are usually used to eating.
- There are several Daniel Fast food plans you can find through research. You should follow the one that is right for you!
- If a dietary change is not healthy for you, you can choose something else to refrain from during the fast.
What occurs during the fast?
- We spend extra time with God in scripture and prayer.
- There are many Bible apps you can download to your device, including audio versions. In addition, there are numerous scripture reading plans, and some let you invite others to join you!
- We talk with God throughout the fast and listen for what he might be saying to us.
- There are also prayer and worship nights at the Hedgesville campus each Wednesday evening during the fast.
How do I connect with others who are participating in the fast?
- In addition to weekly prayer and worship nights.
- Hope Community has a Daniel Fast page on Facebook, where we encourage each other, tell others about what God is doing through the fast, share tips, and swap recipes!
- You can join through the church’s main Facebook page or any of the Hope Online pages.
- Join a scripture reading plan that others are doing - these plans often have a “discussion” page at the end of each day’s reading where everyone in that group can record their thoughts, if they wish.
- Daniel Fast Dates - Jan. 22 through Feb. 11
- Prayer Night #1 - Wednesday, January 25th at 7PM
- Prayer Night #2 - Wednesday, February 1st at 7PM
- Communion Sunday - Sunday, February 5th
- Prayer Night #3 - Wednesday, February 8th at 7PM
- Facebook Group
- Ultimate Daniel Fast Website and Book by Kristen Feola
- Feed Your Soul, Strengthen Your Spirit, and Renew Your Body - Book by Susan Gregory
- YouVersion Bible App
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Frozen, canned, and/or dried fruits and vegetables - check the ingredients to make sure they are consistent with your food plan
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices
- 100% juice (if your food plan permits beverages other than water)
- Whole or minimally processed grains - oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc.
- Minimally processed pastas - whole wheat or other varieties
- Any type of beans, but check ingredients
- Vegetable broth (Sam’s Choice and Pacific brands do not have sugar added; you can also find recipes to make your own)
- Unsweetened plant based milk - almond, soy, coconut, etc.
- Natural unsweetened peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
- All fruit jelly with no sugar added
- Triscuits or other whole grain crackers with no sugar added, rice cakes, plain popcorn, etc.
- Oils - olive, avocado, coconut, etc.
- Plant-based burgers and other products (check the ingredient list when selecting items)
Meals & Snacks
- Apples or bananas with natural peanut butter
- Granola, oatmeal, cream of wheat or shredded wheat with plant based milk and bananas, dried fruit, etc.
- Sliced tofu and vegetables - saute and season with garlic powder, dried herbs, etc.
- Daniel Fast muffins or banana bread - see recipe resources below
- Daniel Fast smoothies - see recipe resources below
- Bruschetta - tomatoes/olive oil/balsamic vinegar/garlic/basil with Triscuits
- Salad - choice of vegetables/beans/nuts/seeds/raisins/olives/etc.; dressing: olive oil with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. Other dressing recipes are available on the Internet.
- Tomato or other soup - can or carton (with no meat broth or added sugar)
Dinner (Daniel Fast Friendly Versions)
- Burrito Bowl - black beans and corn with cumin and chili powder, brown rice, guacamole, salsa, lettuce
- Spaghetti Sauce over whole wheat pasta, spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
- Eggroll in a Bowl - cabbage, carrots, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, etc.
- Homemade veggie or bean burger or purchased plant-based burgers (if your food plan permits) and baked fries
- Fried rice with vegetables (carrots, water chestnuts, cabbage, etc.) and cashews
- Homemade soup with toasted homemade flatbread or tortillas
- Fruit and nuts
- Celery with natural peanut butter
- Carrot sticks or celery with hummus
- Triscuits or rice cakes with natural peanut butter and all fruit jelly
- “Ice cream’ - puree frozen bananas with natural peanut butter and freeze
- Plain popcorn mixed with Old Bay or other seasoning (no sugar in ingredients)
- Raisins and peanuts
- Cookies - see Ultimate Daniel Fast resource