Joshua 1:1-9 ESV
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the people of Israel. 3 Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses. 4 From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun shall be your territory. 5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success[a] wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
1. Hold onto the promise.
God wants us to take ownership.
2. The promise requires what you have, not what you don’t have.
We already have what we need!
3. Obedience is the key.
Don’t claim the promise, but then refuse to take possession.
1. What are the promises God has made to us/you? What if we start asking for bigger things rather than trivial things?
2. Why is it hard to talk to others about the promises we are trusting God for?
3. How do you feel about the fact that you already possess what you need for God to fulfill his promises in your life? What do you have right now that you think is insignificant that God is asking you to be obedient with?
4. Obedience proceeds success….do you have a story to share where this was true ?
5.“Be strong and courageous” is spoken three times over Joshua. When something was spoken three times, it often carried huge significance, what area of your life is the Lord challenging you to be strong and courageous?
6.What will you do differently this week because of this week’s message?