Jeremiah 17:7-8 (ESV)
Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord.
He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream,
and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.
John 12:24-26 (ESV)
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
John 12:24-26 (ESV)
1. Seeds don’t decide where they are planted.
We trust God – He plants us. He decided where, not us.
The seed doesn’t choose the soil.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
2. Seeds die so trees can grow.
Fruit is nourished by feeding the roots.
Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.
Merriam Webster - Surrender - the action of yielding one’s person or giving up the possession of something especially into the power of another
Luke 9:23-24 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.
3. You have to bury seeds.
Submission is not a natural response it’s a spiritual response.
Fight or flight is your body’s response. Submission is a Godly response.
Your Savior isn’t fighting you - he’s fighting FOR you.
1. What stood out to you or meant the most to you from this week’s message?
2. What is the soil like in your life right now? Is it soil you chose for yourself? If not, have you considered before that it’s where God has placed you?
3. Do you usually view difficult situations as an opportunity God is using for you to be fruitful and to change for the better? Why or why not?
4.How do you react when you are buried? Is it easy to remember God is fighting FOR you and not against you? Why or why not?
5. What would you like to do differently as a result of this week’s message?